HORLEY, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, county Oxford, 4 miles N.W. of Banbury, its post town, and 27 N. of Oxford. The village, which is small, is situated on the borders of Warwickshire. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a vicarage* annexed to that of Hornton, in the diocese of Oxford, joint value £388, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is an ancient structure, with a square tower, and is dedicated to St. Ethelreda. It was restored and enlarged in 1841. Here is a National school, also a place of worship for the Wesleyans. The parochial charities produce about £62, of which £49 goes to the school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees