HORNTON, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, county Oxford, 5.5 miles N.W. of Banbury, its post town, and 28.5 N.W. of Oxford. It is a small agricultural village situated on the borders of Warwickshire. The land is nearly equally divided between arable and pasture. Freestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Horley, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is of considerable antiquity, and is in a very decayed condition. There is a National school. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees