HORSEPATH, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Oxford. It is situated under Shotover Hill, and contains the hamlet of Littleworth. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, value £91, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford, who are impropriators. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a central tower. It contains an altar-tomb of blue marble, on which is the effigy of a mitred abbot. The charities produce about £1 per annum. The Earl of Macclesfield is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees