IBSTONE, (or Ipstone), a parish chiefly in the hundred of Desborough, county Bucks, but partly in that of Pirton, county Oxford, 3 miles S.W. of Stoken Church, 6 S.E. of Watlington, and 7 W. of High Wycombe, its post town. It is situated in a wooded country, and contains part of the village of Turvill. The soil is gravel and lime. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £170. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £156, in the patronage of the bishop and Merton College, Oxon, alternately. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a small stone edifice, with tower containing two bells. There is a National school with a small endowment.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees