ICKFORD, a parish in the hundreds of Ashendon and Ewelme, in the counties of Bucks and Oxford, 4 miles N.W. of Thame, and 16 S.W. of Aylesbury, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Ickford. The land is chiefly pasture. It is supposed to have been the place where the treaty was signed in 907 between Edward and the Danes. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £392. The church, dedicated to St.' Nicholas, is a small ancient edifice with a tower. In the interior is a piscina with projecting basin in good preservation. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a free school. The Baptists have a chapel. T. Phillips, who wrote the “Life of Cardinal Pole,” was a native of this place. Thomas Jacombs, Esq., is lord of the manor. Archbishop Sheldon, of Canterbury, was once rector of this parish, and presented part of the communion plate.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees