IDBURY, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 5.5 miles N.W. of Burford, and 6 S.W. of Chipping Norton, its post town. It contains the hamlets of Bould and Foxcott. Near the turnpike road from Stow-on-the-Wold to Burford are the remains of a large Roman encampment. The land is chiefly arable and pasture, with 60 acres of woodland. The soil is in parts rich and fertile, but in others a cold clay. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £60, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient edifice with a Norman entrance on the N. side of the nave. The parochial charities produce £14 per annum. There is an endowed school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees