IPSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Langtree, county Oxford, 4 miles from Wallingford, its post town. The parish, which is extensive, is situated under the Chiltern hills, and contains part of the hamlet of Little Stoke. The land is heathy, but in parts fertile. Ipsden Heath is a meet for the Wormsley harriers. The living is a vicarage united with the vicarage* of North Stoke, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is of great antiquity, and contains some ancient engravings. The charities produce about £13 per annum. Ipsden House is the principal residence.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees