KELMSCOTT, a chapelry in the parish of Broadwell, hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 4 miles S.W. of Bampton. The village is small and situated on the river Thames. It is a meet for the Vale of Whitehorse hounds. The soil is rich and the land chiefly arable. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Broadwell, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a small ancient edifice with two bells on the top. William Hervey, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees