KENCOTT, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 5 miles N.E. of Lechlade, its post town, and 4 W. of Bampton. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The parish is almost entirely fertile arable land, in good cultivation. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1767. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £246. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a small ancient structure. It has a Norman doorway on the S. side, with a rudely-sculptured sagittarius shooting a dragon. There is a small charity for education. John Large, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees