KIDLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 4', miles N. of Oxford, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Woodstock. The parish, which is considerable, is situated on the river Cherwell and the Oxford canal. It contains the townships of Gosford and Water Eaton, and the hamlet of Thrup. The living is a vicarage' with the curacy of Water Eaton annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £279, in the patronage of the rectorship of Exeter College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a cruciform structure with a square tower crowned by a spire. In the interior is a stained-glass window and several very ancient tombs, also some oak pews curiously carved. The charities produce £26 per annum, of which £13 goes to the endowment of Morton almshouses, and £4 towards the support of the free school. There is a chapel for Wesleyans.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees