KINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 4 miles S.W. of Chipping Norton, its post town. It is situated on the river Evenlode, which separates it from the county of Gloucester. The land is divided between arable and meadow, with a considerable tract of common. The meadows and pastures are occasionally subject to inundation. The soil in some parts is a rich loam, in others clay alternated with gravel. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £685 15s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £720. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, with a tower. There is a school for both sexes. The parochial charities produce £36 per annum. The Rev. J. W. Lockwood is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees