LAUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 1.5 mile E. of Bicester, its post town, and 13 miles N.E. of Oxford. It is a station on the London and North-Western railway. The village is small. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The greater portion of the parish is in pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £618, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a very antique tower. The pews were removed in 1844, and the church refitted with open oak sittings. There are National and infant schools. The Independents have a place of worship. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster are lords of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees