LEAFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of Shipton-under-Wychwood, hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 4.5 miles N.W. of Witney, its post town, and 9 S. of Chipping Norton. The village, which is small, is situated in Wychwood Forest. The chapelry is wholly agricultural, and contains Pratley's Lodge. Here are several acres of allotment ground. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, value £55, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was founded in the reign of Elizabeth by Sir Henry Upton. It is dedicated to St. Michael, and has been enlarged. There is a National school, built in 1839. On the opening of a barrow in 1828, some ancient coins were dug up.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees