LEWKNOR, a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, county Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Tetsworth, its post town, 6 S. of Thame, and 2.5 N.E. of Watlington. It is situated under the Chiltern hills, and contains the townships of Lewknor-Uphill and Postcombe. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £280, in the patronage of All Souls' College, Oxford. The parish church of St. Margaret is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing a clock and five bells. The interior of the church contains a sculptured font and an effigy in stone, and a brass of a priest, bearing date 1390. It is the burial-place of the Scroops and Fanes, whose mansion and estate of Wormsley are partly in this parish. There is a district church at Cadmore End, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £150, in the patronage of the Bishop of Oxford (two turns) and All Saints College (one turn). Also a chapel-of-ease at Ashampstead. There is a National school for children of both sexes. Sir Richard Joddrell is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees