LITTLE ROLLRIGHT, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 2 miles S.W. of Great Rollright, and 3 N.W. of Chipping-Norton. In this parish, which is of small extent, bordering on Warwickshire, are the ruins of a Druidical temple, consisting of about 30 stones, varying in height from 5 to 7 feet, and arranged in a circle, with the king stone 9 feet high, 7 feet broad, and 12 inches in thickness, in the adjoining county of Warwick; while to the E. is a kistvaen, or stone chest, and about 300 yards from the circle are also five stones, called the Whispering Stones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £130. The church was built in 1617.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees