^top^

Littlemoor

LITTLEMOOR, a liberty in the parish{es of St. Mary-the-Virgin and} of Iffley, partly within the liberties of the city of Oxford, and partly in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 3 miles S.E. of Oxford, its post town. It is a station on the Oxford and Maidenhead section of the Great Western railway. It was formerly a hamlet of St. Mary's parish, but is now a separate district. In the reign of Henry II. a nunnery of Benedictines was founded here, which in 1524 was bestowed upon Cardinal Wolsey. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £33 6s. 8d. Here is situated the Oxford and Berks county lunatic asylum. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1817. The living is a perpetual curacy' in the diocese of Oxford, value £180, in the patronage of Oriel College, Oxford, and C. Crawley, Esq. The church is a modern edifice with a tower. There is a parochial school.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
 


 Find help, report problems, or contribute information

 Maintained by Malcolm Austen.

 © 2011 GENUKI and its trustees

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
places/littlemoor/start.txt · Last modified: 2011/07/28 15:29 (external edit)