LOWER HEYFORD, (or Heyford at bridge), a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 6 miles N. of Woodstock, and 6 N.W. of Bicester. It is situated on the Oxford canal and the river Cherwell, which bounds the parish on the W. It includes the hamlet of Calcutt. The land is chiefly arable. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Act of Enclosure in 1801. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £496, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a school with a small endowment.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees