MAPLE-DURHAM, a parish in the hundred of Langtree, county Oxford, 4 miles N.W. of Reading, its post town. It is a small, secluded village, situated on the river Thames, and sheltered by a ridge of hills on the N. The parish contains the hamlets of Chawsey and Gurney. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is undulating and well wooded. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £59 14s. 3d. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £878, in the patronage of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient structure with a square tower, containing a clock bearing the royal arms, the gift of William IV. In the chancel is a remarkable stained window. The charities consist of Lyster's almshouses, £23. There is a free school, founded by Lord Fitzclarence. Maple-Durham House is the principal residence. It contains an extensive collection of paintings, and has a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the late Michael Blount, Esq.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees