MIXBURY, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 5.5 miles S.E. of Brackley, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Bicester. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Ouse, which separates it from Northamptonshire. The parish includes the hamlet of Fulwell and the township of Wollaston. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is elevated but level, and the soil is light and thin. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £200, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square tower containing three bells. It has a Norman doorway, with zigzag mouldings leading into the S. aisle. The church has been thoroughly restored, principally at the expense of the rector. The interior contains tombs of the Bathursts. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a free school supported by the incumbent. Stanley Batson, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are traces of an ancient fortification surrounded by a moat, which by the Normans was called Beaumont.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees