NEWINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Ewelme, county Oxford, 4.5 miles N. of Wallingford, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Oxford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the eastern bank of the river Thames, and is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the liberty of Berrick Prior, and the tythings of Brookhampton and Holcomb. The land is divided between arable and pasture in nearly equal proportions, with about 30 acres of woodland. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1810. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Britwell-Priors annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £360, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient structure with a square spired tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Newington House is the principal residence. Sir George Pechell, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees