NEWNHAM-MURREN, a parish in the hundred of Langtree, county Oxford, 1 mile S.E. of Wallingford, its post town, and 3.5 miles from the Wallingford-road station on the Great Western railway. The village, which is small, is situated on the banks of the Thames, under the Chiltern hills. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Stoke, North, in the diocese of Oxford, joint value £568, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and has recently been restored. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees