NEWTON-PURCELL, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 6 miles N.E. of Bicester, its post town, and 41 S.W. of Buckingham. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The chief portion of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory,* with the curacy of Shelswell annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, with a turret containing a clock and two bells. John Harrison Slater Harrison, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees