NOKE, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 5 miles N.E. of Oxford, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Bicester. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Ray, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £90. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient structure, with a small tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of J. Bradshaw and her two husbands, bearing date 1598. The charities consist of a bequest by Mrs. Bradshaw, now producing £3 6s. 8d. per annum, of which £3 is distributed among ten poor persons who have not received parochial relief, and the odd 6s. 8d. is retained by the trustees. The old Manor House is now occupied as a farm.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees