NORTH STOKE, a parish in the hundred of Langtree, county Oxford, 3 miles S. of Wallingford, its post town, and 1.5 mile from the Great Western railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Thames. The parish includes the hamlet of South Stoke, and is a meet for the Wormsley hounds. The living is a vicarage,* with those of Newnham-Murren and Ipsden annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £568, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a chapel-of-ease at Ipsden, also a district church at Stoke Row, the living of which last is a perpetual curacy,* value £90. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. Lady Huntingdon's connexion has a chapel.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees