NORTHMOOR, (or Northmoor with Moorton and Newbridge) a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 7 miles S.E. of Witney, its post town, and 6.5 S.W. of Oxford. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Isis, and is wholly agricultural. Not quite a third of the land is arable, the remainder pasture and meadow. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £504. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £120, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Dennis, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a square tower containing six bells. The interior of the church has effigies of a crusader. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees