NUFFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Ewelme, county Oxford, 7 miles W. of Henley, its post town, 2 W. by N. of Nettlebed, and 4 from Wallingford. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated under the Chiltern hills, and is wholly agricultural. There was formerly a Trinitarian friary, founded prior to 1360. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £430, and the glebe comprises 62 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £405. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a small ancient edifice, with a square tower. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees