ODDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 8 miles N. by E. of Oxford. The parish is intersected by the river Ray. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The surface is level, and the soil a loamy clay, alternating with stone brash on a subsoil of limestone. There is a mineral spring, and limestone is quarried. The tithes were commuted for a corn-rent under an Enclosure Act in 1791. The parsonage house was built in 1821. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £407, in the patronage of Trinity College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to. St. Andrew. There is a parochial school. At Oddington Grange are traces of a Cistercian abbey, founded by Sir Robert de Gait in the reign of Stephen. In 1821 about twenty skeletons were found buried in the limestone rock in armour. In various parts of the parish Roman coins and pottery have been found.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees