OSNEY, (or Oseney), a small island in the river Isis, county Oxford, half a mile W. of Oxford. It has the remains of a priory of the order of St. Augustine, founded in 1074 by Robert D'Oyley, and valued at the Dissolution at £654. In 1542 it became the seat of a diocese, which shortly after was translated to St. Frideswide's, in the city of Oxford.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees