PIDDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, though locally in that of Ploughley, county Oxford, 5.5 miles S.E. of Bicester, 2.5 N.W. of Brill, and 12 N.E. of Oxford. Thame is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under Muzwell, or Musvill, Hill. It is wholly agricultural, and is subject to occasional floods. The land is divided between arable and pasture. The soil is chiefly of clay. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, value £173, in the patronage of the parishioners. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees