PIRTON, a parish in the hundred of Pirton, county Oxford, 5 miles S.W. of Tetsworth, its post town, and half a mile N.E. of Watlington. It is traversed by the Roman way Icknield Street, and is mentioned in Domesday Book as Peritone, at which time it was held by Hugh Lupus. It comprises the hamlets of Clare, Golder, Portways, Standhill, Upper Assendon, and Christmas Common. The village, which is extensive, is chiefly agricultural. A large portion of the land is heathy. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £238, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square wooden tower containing five bells. The interior contains some old monuments. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum, realised from poor's land. There are almshouses for four men and six women, founded and endowed by Sir Francis Stonor in 1820. The manor house, which is still the principal residence, was once the residence of the famous John Hampden. There is an ancient Roman Catholic chapel at Assendon in good preservation. The Earl of Macclesfield, and Hugh Hamersley, Esq., are lords of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees