PISHILL, (or Cuss-hill), a parish in the hundred of Pirton, county Oxford, 6 miles N.W. of Henley-on-Thames, and 5 from Watlington. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under the Chiltern hills, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford. The church is situated on an eminence, and contains tombs of the Stonors of Stonor Park. There is a free school at Assendon, erected at the expense of Lord Camoys, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. Stonor Park, the mansion of Lord Camoys, is situated on an eminence, with a prospect of the surrounding country. The park is well wooded, and abounds in deer. There are almshouses founded by Sir F. Stonner.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees