ROUSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 5.5 miles N.E. of Woodstock, its post town, and within a mile of the Heyford station on the Birmingham and Oxford railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Oxford canal and the river Cherwell. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £240. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing a peal of bells. It contains tombs of the Dormer family. A Sunday-school is held at the church. Rousham Park is the principal residence. 0. C. Dormer, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees