SALFORD, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 2 miles N.W. of Chipping-Norton, its post town, and 79 from London. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The land is divided betwixt arable, meadow, pasture, and coppice. In the vicinity are the remains of two old crosses. The surface is hilly, and the soil of various qualities. The substratum abounds with good building stone. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £251. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a tower. The parochial charities consist of the interest of £12, which is distributed to the poor in bread every Easter. The Dissenters have a place of worship. H. Dawkins, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees