SANDFORD ON THAMES, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 3.5 miles S.E. of Oxford, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the E. bank of the river Isis, and on the road from Oxford to London. The inhabitants are principally agricultural, but there is a paper mill on the bank of the Isis. The Knights Templars had formerly a preceptory, founded by Queen Maud, the site of which was given to the Powell family, of whom was descended Milton's first wife, Mary Powell. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, value £75. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was built in the 12th century. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees