SANDFORD ST MARTIN, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 7 mites N.W. of Woodstock, its post town, 3.5 N.E. of Neat Enstone, and 2 from Great Tew. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Dorme, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Ledwell. The surface is varied with hills of no great elevation. The soil is a strong clay alternated with sand. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1767. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £200. The church was restored in 1845 at the expense of the Rev. Thomas Curme. The chancel has been lately rebuilt, and a painted window inserted. The interior contains a pulpit of carved stone, also a carved oak screen. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum, of which £6 goes to Mead's school. Sandford Park and the manor house are the principal residences.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees