SARSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 3 miles S. W. of Chipping Norton, its post town, and 10 from Burford. The village, which is inconsiderable, is wholly agricultural. In the vicinity is a camp of Saxon or Danish origin, supposed to have been formed by the army of Canute, who here defeated Edmund Ironside in 1016. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1787. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £262. The church is an ancient edifice. The parochial charities produce about £58 per annum, of which £53 goes to a school. Sarsden House is the principal residence. J. H. Langston, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees