SHIFFORD, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 3 miles S.E. of Bampton, and 6 from Witney. It is situated on the Thames. At this place Alfred the Great once held a great council, The chapel is an ancient edifice.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees