SHILTON, a parish, partly in the hundred of Faringdon, county Berks, and partly in that of Bampton, county Oxford, 2.5 miles S.E. of Burford. Bampton is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated in a valley watered by a rivulet. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1794. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £112. The church is an ancient edifice, standing in the adjoining parish of Alvescott. The parochial charities produce about £42 per annum, of which £8 goes towards the support of a school. John Gwynne, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees