SHIPLAKE, a parish in the hundred of Binfield, county Oxford, 4.5 miles from Reading, its post town, and 3 S. of Henley-on-Thames. It is a station on the Twyford and Henley branch of the Great Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Thames. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £147, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has a square tower containing five bells; a monument to the Rev. James Granger, author of the Biographical History of England, who was vicar of this parish, and died in 1776; also tombs of the Blundens and Plowdens, of Shiplake House. The church was restored and reroofed a few years back. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees