SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 6 miles S.W. of Chipping Norton, its post town, 4 N.E. of Burford, and 1 mile N.E. of the Shipton station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway. It is situated on the river Evenlode, and comprises the chapelry and the hamlets of Milton, Langley, and Lineham. It was formerly the seat of the Lacys of Pudlicot, and at Langley, in this parish, was a royal hunting seat. The impropriation belongs to the Professorship of Civil Law in the University of Oxford. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Ramsden annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £335, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is old, with some traces of Norman architecture. It contains a sculptured stone pulpit and an octagonal font, ornamented with the arms of the Earls of Warwick. At the W. end of the nave is a painting of the Resurrection, and in the N. aisle an altar-tomb, with a recumbent effigy of a female. There is also a district church at Seafield, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £55. The parochial charities produce about £97 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. There are traces of three religious houses, and an ancient building converted into the “Crown Inn.” At Milton three singular stone vessels were found in digging the quarries.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees