SHIPTON-UPON-CHERWELL, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 2.5 miles S.E. of Woodstock, its post town, and 6 from Oxford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Cherwell, and is chiefly agricultural. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture. The Oxford canal passes through the parish. The tithes were commuted - for land under an Enclosure Act in 1768. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £310. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice, with a square embattled tower. It was rebuilt in 1832, at the cost of Mr. Turner. There is a Sunday-school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees