SHIRBURN, a parish in the hundred of Pirton, county Oxford, 6 miles S. of Tetsworth, its post town, and 1 mile N.E. of Watlington. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under the Chiltern hills, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is chiefly a chalky loam alternated with gravel. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, under an Enclosure Act in 1805, and subsequently exchanged for a rent-charge of £80 to the vicar, and £14 10s. to the Earl of Macclesfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £112. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone edifice with a square tower containing a clock and two bells. The interior has several monuments. There is a Church school for both sexes. Shirburn Castle, the residence of the Earl of Macclesfield, is an ancient moated mansion with a drawbridge. It is built on the site of a still more ancient castle. There is a collection of paintings, and several portraits of eminent persons, including one of Catherine Parr. The Earl of Macclesfield is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees