SHORTHAMPTON, a chapelry in the parish of Charlbury, hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 2 miles S.W. of Charlbury, 5 S.E. of Chipping-Norton, and 4.5 S.W. of Enstone. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Evenlode, near Wychwood Forest. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Chilson and Pudlicott. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Charlbury, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has three exposed bells on the top, there being no tower. Lord Francis Churchill is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees