SONNING, a parish partly in the hundreds of Sonning and Charlton, county Berks, and partly in that of Binfield, county Oxford, 3 miles N.E. of Reading, its post town, and 2 N.W. of Twyford railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on the Great Western railway, at the bridge over the river Thames, which separates it from the county of Oxford. The parish includes the hamlets of Early, Woodley, and Eye. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of All Saints annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £451, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a square flint tower containing eight bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of great antiquity, with five brasses, the earliest bearing date 1434. There is also the district church of St. Peter's, the living of which is a perpetual curacy* value £100. This church was erected in 1844 by subscription, and endowed by the late Viscountess. Sidmouth. The parochial charities produce about £185 per annum, of which £30 are the endowment of Sir - T. Riche's school, and £54 arise from church lands. There is a National school for girls. Holme Park House, Earley Court, and Balmirshe Court are the principal residences.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees