SOUTH STOKE, a parish in the hundred of Dorchester, county Oxford, 4 miles S.W. from Wallingford, its post town, and 16 from Oxford. The village is situated on the Great Western railway, at the ferry over the Thames. The parish includes the chapelry of Woodcot. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is hilly. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Woodcot annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £147, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum, of which £25 go to Higge's school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees