STADHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Dorchester, county Oxford, 6 miles N. of Wallingford, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Oxford. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Thames, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Chiselhampton, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum, which go to a school. There is a day school for both sexes. The Particular Baptists have a chapel. 0. Piers, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees