STANDLAKE, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 6 miles S.W. of Witney, its post town, and 5 from Bampton. The village, which is extensive, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Windrush and Thames. The parish includes the hamlet of Brittenton. The land is chiefly arable, with a small tract of common, and about 300 acres of meadow and pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £373, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a tower and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £91 per annum, of which £9 go to a school. There is a free school for both sexes. The Baptists have a place of worship. The manor was once held by the Greys, De la Poles, and other families of distinction. W. Strickland, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees