STANTON ST. JOHN, a parish in the hundred of Bullingdon, county Oxford, 4.5 miles N.E. of Oxford, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Roman way to Bicester, and is chiefly agricultural. Stanton belonged to the family of St. John, in the reign of Edward III., and from whom it takes its name. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £287, in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. John. The parochial charities produce about £91 per annum, of which £47 go to Lady Holford's school.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees