SWALCLIFFE, a parish in the hundreds of Banbury, Bloxham, and Dorchester, county Oxford, 5.5 miles S.W. of Banbury, and 23 N.W. of Oxford. The parish, which is large, includes the chapelries of Epwell, Shutford, and Sibford-Ferris. The Warwickshire hounds meet in this parish. In the vicinity is Madmason camp. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Canterbury, value £292. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There are chapels-of-ease at Epwell and East Shutford, and a district church at Sibford. The parochial charities produce about £184 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees