SWERFORD, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 5 miles N.W. of Road Enstone, and 5 N. E. of Chipping-Norton. The village is on the river Snere. On Castle Hill are traces of ancient earthworks. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £496, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a free school for girls. R. Davis, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees